Mashed green lentils look like soil – so let’s make the best of it! That is to say, a fake flower pot.
Lentil Salad & Edible Flower Garnishment (2 servings)
- 100g green lentils
- 200ml cold water
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- edible blossoms (for example daisies), chives and basil
- optional: bacon, sweet corn, carrots, celery etc.
- Rinse and drain the lentils.
- Add the lentils to a cooking pot and pour in the water. Do not add any salt. Bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 25 minutes. It is okay if the lentils are slightly overcooked.
- In a pan, sauté the onion and the garlic in 1 Tbs of the olive oil until brown.
- Add the lentils to the pan and stir for a few minutes.
- Transfer everything into a bowl and mash it a bit with a fork. While still warm, mix in balsamic vinegar, remaining olive oil, soy sauce and pepper.
- When the salad has cooled down, fill it into the dish you would like to serve. Since this is a very basic lentil salad, I suggest adding some other ingredients such as bacon and vegetables. You can “hide” them at the bottom of the serving dish and the cover them with the basic lentil mixture.
- Arrange blossoms, chives and basil. You might have to use a tooth pick. Stick it into the lentil salad. Enjoy!