Posts Tagged ‘potato’
Looking for an eye-catching party snack? Try this recipe for crunchy deep-fried potato & beet chips in the shape of a rose.
Roses again today! If you’ve ever made beet chips, deep-fried or baked in the oven, you will have noticed that they look a little bit like dried roses. Consequentially, the idea of reignofgaming.net making beet rose chips isn’t far away. And since purple potatoes have such a nice colour they can’t be missed out as well. I’ve researched a bit and found out that the deep-fried rose thing has been done before using regular potatoes. They look very nice. Any suggestions for other vegetables you could use?
Deep-Fried Purple Potato & Red Beet Roses
Cooking Soundtrack: Nick Cave & Kylie Minogue – Where The Wild Roses Grow
- red beets, raw
- purple potatoes, raw
- canola oil
- Peel the beets and the potatoes.
- Slice the beets and potatoes thinly using a mandolin slicer. It worked best for me when I cut the beets into 0.5 mm and the potatoes into 1.3 mm slices.
- Spread the slices on a kitchen paper and add another layer of paper on top. This will draw out the moisture of the vegetables.
- When the slices have lost enough water so you can easily bend them, arrange 5-7 pieces like shown in the picture.
- Roll it!
- Fixate with 2 toothpicks.
- Cut in the middle.
- Bend the petals a bit.
- Deep-fry in canola oil for 30-90 seconds at about 170°C (340° F).
- Add salt and you’re done.