A crunchy heart-shaped puff pastry shell filled with a savoury chicken & beet stew that catches your eye through its vibrant colour – Your loved ones’ heart will surely skip a beet when you serve them this flashy main dish on Valentine’s Day. Click here for more Valentine’s Day recipes.
Cooking Soundtrack: Dan Le Sac vs. Scroobius Pip – The Beat That My Heart Skipped
Heart-shaped vols-au-vent (makes 4 hearts)
- chilled puff pastry dough, ca. 30×40cm rectangle, 3mm thick (I used store-bought puff pastry, but if you are truly in love I suggest making it by yourself)
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 200°C. Print and cut out this heart outline if you don’t have suitable cookie cutters.
- Lay the heart outline on the dough and cut along the template. You’ll need 4 big hearts for the bottom, 8 heart rings for the sides and 4 small hearts for the caps.
- Put the bottom hearts on a baking tray lined out with parchment. Prick them with a fork and brush with the beaten egg.
- Place one heart ring on the bottom heart, brush with egg, then place another ring on top and brush again with egg. Brush the heart caps as well.
- Bake the vols-au-vent for 15 minutes. The heart caps should be taken out 5 minutes earlier.
Chicken & Beet Stew (serves 4)
Note: One portion is more than what is depicted in the pictures.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 chicken breast
- salt & pepper
- 1Tbs flour
- 2 Tbs white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cups frozen sweet peas
- 1/3-2/3 cup cream
- a pinch of tarragon
- 1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbs grated beet
- Chop garlic, onion and carrot into small bits.
- Cut the chicken into small cubes. Mix with salt, pepper and flour.
- Heat the butter in a pan and sauté garlic, onion and carrot for one minute.
- Add chicken and cook until it’s done.
- Add wine and let it evaporate a bit.
- Pour in the chicken stock and the sweet peas and let it simmer for a while.
- Add cream,tarragon and cornstarch.
- At the very last, mix in the grated beets and the lemon juice. What a colour boost.
- Fill the stew into the vols-au-vent. Enjoy.